With the completion of this ambitious historic renovation to the former Marshall Drug Co. building, Vintage Development Group has added another jewel to downtown Cleveland’s historic Warehouse District. The six-story brick masonry structure, located at the corner of West 9th Street and Lakeside Avenue, now houses 41 distinct upscale apartments, offering superb views of Lake Erie, the Browns Stadium and The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. As owner/developer, Vintage Management Services manages the property and leases each spacious apartment. Marshall Place offers one, two and three bedroom Cleveland OH apartments for rent. There are four floor plans to choose from plus one townhouse of two bedrooms. Residents will find kitchens fully equipped with appliances and breakfast bars, washer and dryer hookups and all round spacious suites. There is a fitness center, laundry room and all suites have sound insulation in between for your privacy.
What’s In A Name: History Of The Marshall Building
In 1898-99, The Keller Block was constructed by J.J. Collister for Elizabeth M. Keller. Elizabeth M. Keller was the daughter of prominent Great Lakes ship owner and shipbuilder Alva Bradley, and sister to Morris A. Bradley. Morris Bradley became one of the largest landowners in Cleveland, a block named after him sits at the opposite corner of The Keller Block. The Keller Block, as with the history and development of the commercial Warehouse District, replaced wood framed houses at the turn of the century. The Commercial style, expressed in the grid like exterior, vertical piers between the windows emphasizing the height and simple ornamentation exhibited through the fenestration is the common style found in the warehouse district.The Keller Block embodies the turn of the century commercial warehouse type, exhibited through the efficacious use of fenestration. The unusual use of the stamped copper panels emphasizes the attempt to match the national trend of the Chicago style, with the approach to emphasize verticality. The building contributes to the Warehouse District,amplifying the physical character of the district. It stands as a significant building in the Warehouse District.
From 1900 to 1920, various garment-manufacturing companies occupied The Keller Block. One of the earliest companies, the Einstein, Guggenheim and Company, occupying the building from 1900 to 1913, was a shirtwaist manufacturer that became the Euclid Waist Company and known in later years as the Guggenheim Company. In addition to the Guggenheim Company, the S. Korach Company, a cloak manufacturer was located in the building from 1900 to 1910.Several other companies occupied the building briefly over the first twenty years after construction. Some of the names of these companies appear on the south side of the building, as well as other company advertisements. These signs all predate 1910 when an adjacent building was constructed and later demolished circa. 1980.
Without a doubt, the most prominent tenant was the Marshall Drug Company, whom occupied the building from 1921 to 1962. The building is often referred to as the Marshall Building due to the businesses long occupancy of the building. The company’s warehouse and general offices were located in the Keller Block, and at its peak the company ran 46 retail stores from this location.The Marshall Drug Store chain was an early important drug chain that created a national controversy within the industry by introducing cut-rate prices in 1901 and offering the 1-cent sale. In the late 1950’s the Marshall Drug Company merged with Cunningham Drugs, which was later purchased by Gray Drug. In 1987 the Rite Aid Corporation purchased Gray Drug, which is still in operation today.
Having been abandoned for over 30 years, a massive renovation effort was planned with Marous Development (now Vintage Development) purchasing the building and Marous Brothers Construction performing as the General Contractor; turning an eyesore into a showpiece. To preserve the affiliation of the most prominent building tenant, the name was retained and formally announced at its Summer 2002 debut as Marshall Place Apartments in the Historic Warehouse District.